Ettington CFR 2012 Callout Statistics

2012, we w ere called to 162 incidents. These callouts all arose from ‘999’ calls by members of the public; mostly across the villages in our primary coverage area but occasionally further afield such as Stratford-upon-Avon. In all cases, West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) requested the deployment of one or more of our team members on the basis that each of these calls fell into their life-threatening/serious categories. These alerts were received, and responded to where possible, 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.

An implication of the 162 calls is that, as a team, we responded to an average of one incident every two to three days of the year. For a small, rural team, this is quite a high rate.

We attended a wide-range of medical emergencies including a number of road traffic accidents. Our patients ranged in age from just a few months old to over 80. In order of magnitude, and based on the alerting category assigned by WMAS were; Fall (19%), Breathing Problems (15%), Chest Pain (14%), Uncategorised Illnesses (8%), Unconscious/Fainting (6%), Stroke (5%), Convulsions/Fitting (5%), RTC (3%), Cardiac Arrest (3%). Of course, when applied to a total callout figure of 162, even low percentages translate to quite significant numbers in absolute terms and, indeed, the team attended a number of very serious incidents during the year (such as cardiac or respiratory arrests).

80% of the incidents that w e attended were at Private Houses/Farms with the other 20% at Road Traffic Collisions, Hotels, Pubs, Churches, Roadside etc.

The team car was used on 70% of our calls. Team members’ private cars were used on the remaining 30%. Team members do not receive any insurance cover or reimbursement from WMAS when using their own vehicle; it is a purely voluntary arrangement.

All of the team are volunteers and do not receive any payment for being on call or attending incidents. We aim to make our service available 24×7. 22% of our callouts were during night-time hours (0000-0700).

We are funded entirely by our own fundraising initiatives within the villages that we serve and by grant applications. We receive no funding from the NHS or WMAS although WMAS does provide all the training for the team and supplies us with consumables such as Oxygen. We’ve had another year of tremendous support from the communities that we serve; thank you so much. For full details of all the support that we’ve received, please see previous posts on our website. A summary of our activities in 2012, as posted in the village newsletters in our main area of coverage, can be found here.

Further details of the Ettington CFR Scheme, including the various ways in which you can support us, can be found on our website here.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *